Monday, June 1, 2009

WE ARE HOME!!!!

What an amazing journey!  I truly cannot believe we flew to Africa to meet our daughter!

As I type this, Hope is sitting across the kitchen table, firmly planted on Jason's lap, enjoying some breakfast.  She loves to peek around the box of cereal and give me BIG smiles, it melts my heart.  Our first hours home have been terrific.  She has adjusted to life in the U.S. with 4 siblings with relative ease.  We know there will be some bumps in the road, but all things considered- we are all doing great.

The trip was beyond anything I could have imagined.  I was overwhelmed by the extreme poverty and by the love and affection of the people there.  

When we received our referral for Hope, we learned she was abandoned by the side of the road at around 12 months.  I knew her family must have been desperate to be forced to do this, desperate beyond anything I could imagine.  However, I still could not wrap my mind around the idea that circumstances would be so bad that I would walk away from my child.

Now, after having walked the streets of Addis Ababa, I have the slightest picture of what led to her abandonment.  The poverty there is beyond description.  Everywhere we went we saw people struggling, the smallest children begging and it broke my heart.  I wanted to bring all the little ones home!!!

The police report filed when Hope was found, stated the police were taking her to the hospital and then the orphanage "to secure a future for her."

Since first reading that report in March, Jeremiah 29:11 has played over and over in my head.

"For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future."  Jer. 29:11

In the next few days we will get a video posted, we hope you like it!!

8 comments:

  1. Oh I have wanted to hear how things were going, but didn't want to call you! You all have been in my thoughts and prayers! Love you, friend!
    John said last night, "I guess Hope will be with us on the next Scout Family Camp Out in the fall! That will be fun!"
    We all look forward to knowing her better! Hope to see you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. welcome home sweet hopie girl!!!! we can't wait to meet you!!! Jesus has given you the most amazing family! :)))

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praise God from Whom ALL blessings flow! I'm so glad to hear that you are home safely and that Hope is adjusting well. I love that she is giving you smiles and is comfortable in Jason's lap! Jeremiah 29:11-13 are some of my favorite life verses and I love that you saw application of them in Hope's life. Last night at the GCC prayer service, we sang the second verse of the Doxology, which says, "Let every nation rise and sing. Hail, Jesus Christ our Lord and King! O, Lamb of God we honor Thee, with glorious praise eternally!" Hope will grow up learning about Jesus and will be among the nations praising Him around the Throne! Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jason and Heidi,
    I have been thinking of your family. I am so happy that Hope is doing well. I am so thankful God has placed her in your family she has been so blessed. I am so happy for her that she will grow up with a fmaily that loves God and she has sisters and brothers that love Jesus and will teach her how much Jesus loves her. Hope to see yo soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. soooooooooo glad to hear that everything went well in Ethiopia...and that you're back safely with sweet Hope! :) we can't wait to meet her! you were missed yesterday at church! i thought of you guys when i walked passed the "bulletin assembly" room. Hope will be there soon helping big brother Max run the bulletins down the hall to the sanctuary! :)

    we can't wait to hear more about your trip. we have Operation World for Kids that we try to read and pray through @ breakfast. Last week 2 of the days were devoted to Ethiopia. It was SO exciting for us to be able to tell to John Martin that you were there picking up Hannah's baby sister and to pray for you.

    we love you guys SO MUCH and can't wait to meet Hope! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Welcome Home HOPE!! Can't wait to meet you....and PHOTOS PLEASE!!! blessings to EVERYONE

    ReplyDelete
  7. Welcome home! We are all so excited for you. What lavish blessings that Hope seems to be adjusting so quickly. God is so good. Thank you for sharing your story on the blog - it is so encouraging to see Him at work in your lives! Love to you all!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so excited for you!!!! Can't wait to see the video!!!

    much love,
    angie

    ReplyDelete